Get your sh*t together!

Its easy to become convinced that the world is going to hell in a handbasket.

We talk about the consequences of the coming global paradigm shift all the time. Yes, we may sound like full-time apocalyptics, but the reality is that it just makes a lot of sense to prepare your family as best you can for what we call the inevitable “reset.”

Yes, we believe things are challenging and about to get much more so. But, we also believe that post “reset”, the world will usher in a pretty amazing era of opportunity that will be de-coupled from centralized anything — banks, governments, corporations, etc.

Bottom line, we’re going through the death throes of an old centralized order at the moment, but we believe that what comes out on the other side is going to be pretty extraordinary.

In the meantime, we need to prepare as best we can… And really it is not that hard to take a few concrete steps to increase your resiliency:

• Open a foreign bank account
  • Obtain foreign residency or a second passport
  • Create your own food source (Incidentally, if you think this sounds wacky, check out this NYT piece)
  • Reduce expenditures
  • Create multiple streams of income
  • Invest in foreign real estate
  • Buy precious metals

Each of these is a hedge against global uncertainty, political, economic and country risk.

But the challenging part is often the HOW, not the WHAT or the WHY. As a father of two kids I know how hard it is to find the time and energy to do some of the things I know I should be doing.

Things like cleaning out the garage and hiring someone to pressure wash the house, or re-seal the driveway. Not to mention the things needed to prepare for an uncertain future.  I’m too busy taking the kids to soccer practice, gymnastics, music lessons, track club and Spanish club — in other words, doing all of the “status quo” things that could very well become luxuries for awhile when the SHTF.

I’ve written before about turning off the TV and I still stand by that as one of the best ways to create more time in your life.  But here is another tactic that might help you.

Batching

I’m essentially a lazy person.  So instead of just using willpower to push myself to do more I have always looked for tactics to allow myself to get more done with less effort.  ”Advanced Laziness” if you will.

One of the best things I have discovered in this regard is batching.  Grouping similar tasks together.  The amount of time we waste by switching between tasks is far greater than you can imagine.  Not just physically switching but mentally switching.   When you answer a phone call in the middle of a task you not only lose the time spent on the call but also the time it takes to mentally get back “into the game”.

Also when you do a task to completion with no distractions, you don’t think about it the rest of the week wondering if you forgot anything.  If somehow some little screw up you made because you were distracted is going to come back and bite you in the ass!

For example I do the accounting and bookkeeping for 3 companies as well as our household finances and I do all of it in two to three hours a week.  How? I do ALL of it on Monday morning.  I call it “Money Monday”.   I turn off the phone, and do not look at the emails until it is all done.  There are a million temptations to look at things at other times.  There are the contractors who want to get paid on Friday.

Tenants who want deposits, or who are late on rent that I should be tracking down.  But I ignore everything, unless it is Money Monday.  Screw them all.   I know that when I do take care of it that I do it completely so I do not have to think about it AT ALL the rest of the week.  I have the confidence to ignore everything related to finances until Monday.  Ahh, that feels good.

Before I started this I had a bookkeeper and accountant doing the work and I was paying on average $1200 per month for just two of the companies.  So now I save $1200 per month by spending two to three hours a week.  That’s over $100 and hour, plus I have a better handle on whats happening in the companies.

Another big time sucker is email.  Don’t check your email all day long!  You can spend an entire day responding to emails.  You can be staring at the computer waiting for the next email to come in.  I know,  I’ve done it.  Start your day by getting something important off your list BEFORE you even look at your emails.  Like this blog post for example.  I’ll get this out here in a few minutes and I have not yet opened my email.

Please do not just read this missive and do nothing about it!  What tasks do you do that you can batch?

Enjoyed this post? Get updates (It's free!)

18 Responses to "Get your sh*t together!"

1. contrarian says:

I enjoy this blog. I don’t see alot of comments and I don’t want you guys to get discouraged and stop blogging. So that you will know, with confirmation, that at least one yahoo is reading, enjoying, and [with rare exception] appreciating your content, I will reply with the word “BUMP” each time I consume your latest. Fair deal? And maybe others will realize that feedback, of some kind, inspires the authors.

Maybe if others don’t care to compose lengthy commentary, they might show appreciation with a “BUMP”.

• Trey Morrison says:

Thanks so much! It definitely helps to know that people are reading. We can see that we have lots of unique visitors through Google Analytics, but it doesn’t feel the same as hearing from actual people! Thanks for reading.

2. blancalily says:

I enjoy this blog too! Thanks for writing. Keep up the good work!

I love the idea in this post and have been trying to make Tuesdays and Thursdays my work days (I’m a consultant). So far, my discipline has been lacking. Perhaps I’m spending too much time reading blogs :)

• Trey Morrison says:

Yeah, quit reading blogs (except this one) and start batching! It is hard to stick with the plan sometimes. To be honest I did my “Money Monday” today! But I did turn off all distractions and got it done in one hour and 33 minutes. I find that using the stopwatch helps me stay focused. One step at a time makes huge differences over time. Sometimes I look at my life and cannot believe that I was tuning guitars for a living just 13 years ago. Everything I have done has just been tiny, and often seemingly insignificant steps. Like batching consultations to only Tuesdays and Thursdays!! Keep up the good work and thanks for reading!!

3. Laurie says:

I’ve recently found your blog and at first I wondered if I’d get much from it since we’re not planning an international relocation anytime soon. (although I wouldn’t be opposed!) But I have enjoyed so many of your posts! This one really hits home as I am in one of those weeks where there seems to be more on my list to do than I have time for… and none of it is able to be delayed.

I also enjoyed this article yesterday about Decision Fatigue on nytimes.com, and your post seemed to be a great addition. Thanks for the encouragement!!

• Trey Morrison says:

WOW Laurie, that was a great article. I’ve been contemplating it for 2 days now. Thank You. I’m glad you like the blog and as to moving abroad I am now living back in the US myself. But I’m working on a book about how to internationalize yourself without leaving the country. I think there are a lot of people who are interested in expanding their international horizons, for safety reasons and just for fun that are not in a place to actually move out of the country. So I want to help them with it.

4. Gm Burns says:

Really like everything yall have to say here, great advice and insights.

5. I just discovered you tonight via Chris Martenson. So far I really like your style and perspective. I too hope you will keep blogging, I’ll sure keep reading. Very interested in internationalizing, as you say. Married to a German. :+)

• Trey says:

Chris Martenson was an inspiration for me years ago. When I first moved to Panama I was introduced to “The Crash Course” Awesome stuff. Thanks for the comment and encouragement.

• Trey Morrison says:

Hey Sharon, I just checked out your site! Great music. You have a lovely voice!

6. I am late to see your material but like it very much. I am excited about your book on going international…how soon will it be out? Thanks so much!

7. Catherine says:

Love your blog. My husband, two children and I sold our house in the U.S. And moved to Belgium one year ago. It has been a fantastic experience. We are planning on moving back to the U.S. sometime over the next year. Feeling quite certain economic calamity is on the horizon I find myself continually asking: Where can we go and ‘be free’ and safe. The main reason we are leaving Belgium is because we feel neither free or safe. Not free bc the govt regulates every aspect of income and production and not safe because there is zero right to bear arms. When calamity strikes Europe will quickly be a victim of mob rule and the innocents will have no means of self defense.
    We have family in Texas and are considering moving there but I would be interested in your thoughts. Thanks!

• Trey Morrison says:

Catherine, thanks for writing. I have also moved back to the US for awhile. We live in a small town in the Appalachian mountains where almost everyone we know has gardens, bees, chickens and guns. So as far as living in the US I feel this area is pretty resilient. The mountain people have a culture of living off the land that is still pretty in tact. That being said we are actively working on our resilient community in Panama so as to have options. As things move forward we will keep everyone informed about opportunities to get involved.

8. Nearingmannon1 says:

Rah    Rah   TREY!!!!     You   Are   Exactly   what I’ve Needed!!!       Thank You….Mannon Nearing